Pages

April 3, 2013

DIY Coconut Oil Hair Treatment


Yay! It’s the first day of my spring break and I am currently on a plane down to LA! (Edit: It’s actually halfway through my spring break, but I wrote this when I was on the plane. Expect a blast of blog posts that I haven’t had time to upload coming soon). I’m still recovering from a bad cold that put me on bed rest for a week, but something good did come out of it. I discovered what a miracle worker coconut oil is! All around it is beneficial to your inner and outer health. I read up about it on here.
Whenever I get sick my hair loses it’s shine and strength,so I wanted to give it some TLC. As I was browsing DIY hair/scalp treatments one ingredient kept popping up: coconut oil. I had just bought a jar of it, so I concocted my own treatment based on this one. All of the ingredients are really beneficial to hair!

What you’ll need:
  •  4 Tablespoons of coconut oil, melted, but not too hot- adds shine & strength
  • 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice- clarifies
  • 1 Tablespoon of honey- cleanses
  • A few drops of your favorite essential oil (I used lavender, but jojoba or tea tree oil are especially good for hair)- smells good!
  • Brush or comb
  •  Shower cap 


Tips:
  • Since oils and water don't mix, this will only work on dry hair.
  • Do this in the bathroom or kitchen or wherever it's OK to get messy.
  • Dipping the comb into the mixture and running it through your hair works pretty well, but to get it close to the scalp you're going to have to use your hands.
  • It may take two showers to completely rinse the oil out of your hair (I nlearned this the hard way).

Directions:
All you have to do is mix all of the ingredients into a small bowl until it is combined well, then you are ready to start applying it!I would suggest doing this on a weekend or when you have some free time because it is quite a process to put it in your hair and it has to sit for 30+ minutes.Start at the hairline and work your way down by first dipping my hands in the mixture and massaging onto your scalp and then dipping the comb in the mixture and combing it all the way to the ends (This is the best method that I figured out). When you think your hair is sufficiently coated, tie your hair up into a loose bun and put the shower cap on. Then, set a timer for 30-45 minutes depending on how long or thick your hair is. Once the timer goes off take a shower and wash your hair like normal with shampoo and conditioner. It may take two showers to completely rinse the treatment out so maybe double shampoo when you’re in the shower. Once you’re hair dries (I blow dried mine straight, like always) your locks should feel silky-smooth!

To be honest, after my second shower and blow dry I didn’t really see a difference in the shininess of my hair. I was doubtful, but when I went to school a few days later (even after another shower) I got multiple compliments on how shiny and soft it was! It’s been two weeks since then, and my hair still feels great!

Have you ever done a DIY hair treatment? If so, how did it turn out? Would you try this one out?

Hope you all had a lovely Easter!



No comments:

Post a Comment